Avlis uses custom content such as original items, custom/enhanced creatures, as well as special files that allow one to explore tree cities, drylands, and hillocks. Once you have NWN installed on your computer, you will need to supplement it with the custom content files listed below. Most of these files are compressed in RAR or ZIP or 7-Zip files and you will need to unzip/unrar them before use. Hak files go in the /hak directory and tlk files into the /tlk directory (which you may need to create) in your Neverwinter Nights folder.
- 1 Single File Download for all Custom Content
- 2 Individual Custom Content Files
- 3 Other Files
- 3.1 NWN Direct Connect Launchers/Batch Files
- 3.2 Customization/Extras/Player Housing
Single File Download for all Custom Content
- Single Archive file: avlis_allinone_20201119.7z
Instructions: Extract all files into your Neverwinter Nights installation folder as follows: Extract the .hak files into the hak directory. Extract the single .tlk file (currently copaptlk_4_9c.tlk) into the tlk directory. New installations may need to create the tlk folder.
Individual Custom Content Files
- copaptlk_4_9c.tlk - This goes in your tlk folder, not the hak one.
Avlis Extension Haks
Alternative Download Locations For All Files:
Forum guide on how to check your required haks for errors.
None of this is required, but is nice!
NWN Direct Connect Launchers/Batch Files
Neverwinter Nights Client Extender (NWNCX)
- Removes the long wait for the (non-functional) Master Server to time out.
- Restores multiplayer server listing in-game (using data from Skywing's replacement listing server).
- Unlocks the game's camera angle limitation (so you can do things like look straight up to see more of the game).
Be sure to read the included instructions (readme.txt), as this can be used as a pre-loader, or to patch your nwmain.exe.
Note: You do not need to patch anything to use this on Avlis. The NWNCX_Loader.exe will do everything you need.
NWN Direct Connect Launcher
This runs on newer systems, and has similar features to Avlis Side-Kick. The different servers will need to be added manually, and there is some configuration to do in the settings.
This handy little utility helps you connect to the different servers. It stores all the connection information for them and you just select which one you want and "launch" it. It also bypasses all the splash screens that you see when you launch Neverwinter the normal way. You can add the new servers by right-clicking in the servers list and choosing Add Server. They can also be edited by right-clicking on the server and choosing Properties. It also has a somewhat handy time calculator that compares your computer's timezone setting to GMT.
- Warning: The Visimontium port is wrong in the initial install.
- Note: This needs the .NET Framework to function.
Note: No longer supported by newer operating systems or .NET versions. See the discussion topic for details, and links to older versions.
Creating Windows shortcuts for Avlis
Creating shortcuts to connect to each Avlis server is fairly simple.
- There is a "Creating Windows shortcuts for Avlis" tutorial that goes into more detail, including how to make taskbar menus for them.
- If you know how to make and edit shortcuts, the following instructions should be all you need.
- Make a shortcut to nwmain.exe (located in your game folder), and rename it to match the server name you will be connecting to.
- Edit the Target: command line, and add
+connect world.avlis.org:5121at the end (5121 is the port to connect to the Mikona server - see the next step for changing it).
"C:\GOG Games\NWN Diamond\nwmain.exe" +connect world.avlis.org:5121.
- Create copies of the shortcut, then change the port number and shortcut name for each server using the Server Connection Information list.
"C:\GOG Games\NWN Diamond\nwmain.exe" +connect world.avlis.org:5122for a shortcut to the Wilderness.
- To make a shortcut to connect with the DM client, also add
+password DMPASSWORDto the Target: command line (replace DMPASSWORD with the real one).
"C:\GOG Games\NWN Diamond\nwmain.exe" -dmc +connect world.avlis.org:5121 +password DMPASSWORD.
- Note 1: Only DMs need to use a password, not players.
- Note 2: The quotation marks (" ") around the path to nwmain.exe are needed if it has spaces in any names.
"C:\GOG Games\NWN Diamond\nwmain.exe" +connect world.avlis.org:5121.
This causes some confusion for players, but you only need them around the executable path, as in the example (not the entire Target: command line).
Custom Avlis Music
- See Custom Portaits
WARNING: This override is only to be used during character creation. You should remove the files from your override folder after creating a character. Avlis staff are not responsible for maintaining these files, or fixing any problems you may have because of them. Any updates by Avlis to files overridden by these files will be ignored if you forget to remove the override, which will cause you to see things in game that others don't see (different or missing heads).
A player-made override, spanning all the head models currently used on Avlis (subject to improvement):
- Heads for Character Creation topic on the Avlis Forum
Additional Voice Sets
WARNING: This override is only to be used during character creation. You should remove the soundset.2da file from your override folder after creating a character. Avlis staff are not responsible for maintaining this, or fixing any problems you may have because of it. Any updates by Avlis or CoPaP to the soundset.2da overridden by this will be ignored if you forget to remove it from override, which may cause you to hear different voices and see voice text in game that others don't.
A player-made override, that enables many more of the existing voice sets in NWN to be used by players during character creation. These are limited to voice sets that should be appropriate for players to use, so no "Named" NWN characters (sorry, no Deekins) or inappropriate creatures. Some voice sets were also left out because they are far from complete.
There is one additional voice set added (for male and female characters) called None at the end of the list, which will make your character have no voice sounds at all. This can be very useful when playing a Changeling, or if you simply do not like the game shouting things when you perform various actions. Since these are standard NWN voice sets, all players on the servers will hear the same voice set you do.
Note: The "Minotaur Zor" voice set (previously used by players for no voice) was fixed by Bioware, and now has voices. Do not use this for no voice.
Extract the soundset.2da from the archive file, and add it to your override folder before creating a new character. The extra voice options will be available during character creation (remember to remove it from override after creating the character). Soundset on the NWN Wiki has more details for how they work.
- Extra and "No Voice" sets for new characters topic on the Avlis Forum with download links.
Avlis Player Housing Files
See also: Avlis Player Housing
- See the Available resources section of Player Housing for information on how to obtain housing related files.