Description: Wizards are arcane spellcasters who depend on intensive study to create their magic. To wizards, magic is not a talent but a difficult, rewarding art. When they are prepared for battle, wizards can use their spells to devastating effect. When caught by surprise, they are vulnerable. The wizard's strength is her spells; everything else is secondary. She learns new spells as she experiments and grows in experience, and she can also learn them from other wizards. In addition, over time a wizard learns to manipulate her spells so they go farther, work better, or are improved in some other way. A wizard can call a familiar; a small, magical, creature that serves her.
Alignment Restrictions: None
Hit Die: d4
Proficiencies: Armor (Robes), Weapons (Simple)
Wizard Bonus Feats: Arcane Defense, Brew Potion, Combat Casting, Craft Wand, Empower Spell, Extend Spell, Greater Spell Focus, Greater Spell Penetration, Maximise Spell, Quicken Spell, Silent Spell, Spell Focus, Spell Penetration, Still Spell
Spellcasting: Arcane (Intelligence-based, requires preparation, armor-related chance of spell failure is a factor); Wizards begin the game knowing all cantrips and four 1st-level spells. Must have an Intelligence score of 10 + the spell’s level to cast a spell.
Special Abilities & Feats
- Level 1 Scribe Scroll, Summon Familiar
- Wizard Bonus Feats: Every five levels, the wizard may select a bonus feat, chosen from the Metamagic and Spell feat lists. This bonus feat is in addition to the feats every character gains for advancing in character level. If the character is an epic character then the available feats include those in the epic wizard bonus list. This bonus feat (1 per 5-levels) option is replaced by the Epic bonus feat progression (1 per 3-levels) once the character reaches Epic Wizard levels.
A Wizard may choose to specialize in a spell school, gaining one additional prepared spell per level but losing the ability to cast spells from the opposed spell school. A Wizard does not have to specialize, thus keeping access to all spells.
Spells per Day
Skill Points: 2 + Int mod
Bonus Feats: 23, 26, 29, 32, 35, 38
Epic Wizard Bonus Feats
Epic Wizard Spells
Epic Selectable Class Feats
- Wizards learn new spells at each level-up or from wizard scrolls they find during play.
- Which spells are memorized on rest are selected using the spell-book (shortcut key B).
- Avlis has special Spellbook Management chat functions to make spellbook changes easier.
- Wizard familiars gain additional feats and abilities once the wizard level of the Player Character reaches 15.
- In Avlis there is an Advanced Mage Specializations Overview which allows the implementation of spell-casting "prestige classes". The effect is intended to give spellcasters additional options and specializations tied to a closer or more advanced study of magic. Unlocking by a DM is required for this PrC.
Avlis Private Discussion: Mages, a private class discussion forum.