|Systems and Tools|
Alteration machines can be found throughout Avlis. The exact locations/list is FOIG, but they aren't hard to find, so just ask.
What does an Alteration Machine look like?
It is usually a Ganoomish machine shaped like a pedestal having a glass ball on top. And you will see a male model on one side and a female model on the other side. They are there to kindly model your item as you change it. Some alteration ateliers install golems for the same purpose.
How do you use it?
Clicking on the Ganoomish machine will open like a container, so you place your item into the container. Once you do that, it will present you with a menu of options for what you can do to that type of item. After you've selected to use the Male or Female models, they will wear/hold your item as you are working on it. This allows you to see immediately what your changes will look like. When you are finished making your alterations and you have paid your fee, the item will be replaced back onto the machine for you to retrieve.
What can be altered?
Some of the alteration machines are limited to altering a certain sub-set of this list. While others can do them all.
What can NOT be altered?
Of the list of items that can be altered above, you are prohibited from altering items that are marked PLOT.
What alterations can I make to an item?
- Change the name of the item (white text or colored text)
- Change the color of the item
- Change the design/model appearance of the item
What skills do I need to be able to use these machines?
No skills are required, just chose the option to pay the house to do the work and they'll use their in-house expert craftsman to do it for you. You just have to pay the higher fee.
How much does it cost to make an alteration?
This depends on whether you pay the house to do the work or you use your crafting skills to do the work. Using your crafting skills will be 50% or less of the house price.
It also depends on which type modification(s) you make to the item, how many modifications you make to the item, and how many modifiable parts there are on the item. The 3 types of modifications each have different costs that are added into the final total fee.
- Item Renaming - house price is 150gp for white text and 500gp for colored text.
- Item Dyeing - house price for this can be as low as 50gp, each dye use will add another charge to the fee.
- Item Model/Design - this varies widely depending on what you change and attributes of the item. The low end for the house price is around 300gp.
What happens if I try to make an alteration and it fails?
You pay the fee and try again. The original unaltered item will be returned to the machine.
What other special features are there?
For those PCs that complete alterations using their crafting skills, there are several special features/benefits:
- Once you reach a certain level in a craft, you will achieve 100% success rate on alterations. This level is different for Name-only/Dye-only alterations and alterations that include Model/Design changes.
- You can earn crafting XP in the relevant skill (10xp 10/week total). Remember that when using your skills, if they are insufficient, you'll fail to complete the alteration. And the alteration must include a model/design alteration for this to apply.
- You get a discount on the cost of the alteration. This discount gets larger as your skills increase.
- You'll be able to save your Tailoring alterations as Patterns. It will keep track of your patterns, so you can use them later and apply them to other items of the same type.