Kurathene honors system
| Part of the series on|
The Kurathene honors system was the honors system used in the Kurathene Empire during the Kurathene period. After the fall of the empire, several fiefdoms created their own system, using titles that did not exist during the Empire. Examples include the King of Valorian and the Chancellor of Julaspium. Some fiefdoms still use a honors system that is more or less the same as the system used during the Kurathene period, most notably Trenium and Arvanos.
• Earl(Count in some regions)/Countess
Prefects and Consuls were the technical duchal rank within the Empire, meaning that the territory they were associated with were far larger than the norm(As indicated a "prefecture" is about the size of an average Avlissian country), while Marquesses, Earls, Viscounts and Barons held pieces of each prefecture.
Forms of address are as follows (On letters/parchments, official salutations, oral address):
Consuls - "His Serene Highness the Consul of X", "Your Highness", "Your Highness" but subsequently "sir"
Prefects - "His Grace the Prefect of X", "My Lord Prefect", "Your Grace" or "Prefect"
Marquess - "The Most Honourable the Marquess of X", "My Lord" or "Lord X", "My Lord" or "Lord X"
Earl - "The Right Honourable the Earl of X", "My Lord" or "Lord X", "My Lord" or "Lord X"
Viscount - "The Right Honourable the Viscount of X", "My Lord" or "Lord X", "My Lord" or "Lord X"
Baron - "The Right Honourable the Baron of X", "My Lord" or "Lord X", "My Lord" or "Lord X"
(As a rule lifetime peerages are NOT conferred upon women, like a peerage title might.)
Count - "The Honourable Count X", "Lord X", "Lord X"
Baronet - "Sir X Y, Bt.", "Sir", "Sir X"
Patrician - "Sir X Y, Pt.", "Sir", "Sir X"
All "Sir"s to be replaced by "Dame" for feminine forms and "Lord" with "Lady" obviously.
(Listed in order of establishment and precedence in official ceremony, note that the orders from Vine to Blade are all equal)
• The Most Noble Royal Order of Kuras (I)
• The Most Esteemed Order of Methran Arvanos (MA)
• The Most Illustrious Order of the Vine (Caliaze) (V)
• The Most Honourable Order of the Rook (Trenium) (R)
• The Most Distinguished Order of the Pike (Epillycia) (P)
• The Most Eminent Order of the Lance (Bracentia) (L)
• The Most Venerable Order of the Hammer (Liandyra) (H)
• The Most Renown Order of the Arrow (Isslius) (A)
• The Most Glorious Order of the Shield (Cytheria) (S)
• The Most Resplendent Order of the Javelin (Sorraine) (J)
• The Most Exalted Order of the Blade (Kuras) (B)
• The Most Excellent Order of the Kurathene Empire (KE)
• The Most Valiant Order of the Gauntlet (Julaspium) (G) (Established post-Kurathene)
• Knight Grand Commander (G.C.)
• Patrician (K.P.)
• Knight Commander (K.C.)
• Knight Companion (K.)
• Knight Esquire (Esq.)
• Squire (S.)
Only Knight Companions and above are considered actual knights therefore address looks: Knight Grand Commander/Knight Patrician/Knight Commander/KNight Companion are all addressed as "Sir X" and generally post-fix their names with "K.C.X." or "K.X"
Esquiredom is a recognition that you're gentry, it's not generally used unless you're throwing a yeoman up into the ranks of the "middle" class gentry, but generally the post-fix of "Esq." is used by both those attaining officer rank in military service or those officially elevated to that rank through merit.