A descriptor indicates the nature of a spell. Any descriptors that apply are given in [brackets] for that spell. This provides a general classification of the spell for the purposes of what immunities, resistances and protections can ignore or hamper the spell.
Spells with acidic effects
- Spells: Acid Fog, Acid Splash, Melf's Acid Arrow, Mestil's Acid Breath, Mestil's Acid Sheath, Storm of Vengeance
Spells dealing with chaotic natures.
Spells with freezing effects
- Spells: Ice Dagger, Ice Storm, Ray of Frost
Spells with darkening effects
- Spells: Darkness
Spells that deal with death.
- Spells: Circle of Death, Destruction, Finger of Death, Horrid Wilting, Power Word Kill, Wail of the Banshee
Spells dealing with disease.
- Spells: Infestation of Maggots
Spells dealing with divine natures.
- Spells: Hammer of the Gods, Word of Faith
Spells with shocking effects
- Spells: Call Lightning, Chain Lightning, Electric Jolt, Gedlee's Electric Loop, Lightning Bolt, Scintillating Sphere, Storm of Vengeance
Spells dealing with evil natures
Spells that instill fright, terror, and dread.
- Spells: Doom, Fear, Phantasmal Killer, Scare, Weird
Spells with burning effects
- Spells: Burning Hands, Combust, Darkfire, Delayed Blast Fireball, Elemental Shield, Fireball, Firebrand, Flame Arrow, Flame Lash, Flame Strike, Incendiary Cloud, Meteor Swarm, Sunburst, Wall of Fire
Spells that employ invisible forces.
- Spells: Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shelgarn's Persistent Blade, Shield
Spells dealing with good natures.
Spells that depend on language barriers
Spells dealing with lawful natures.
Spells with brightening effects. Sightless creatures are not affected by [Light] spells.
- Spells: Blade Thirst, Flare, Light
Spells that affect the mind.
- Spells: Aid, Aura of Glory, Bane, Bless, Charm Monster, Charm Person, Charm Person or Animal, Color Spray, Confusion, Daze, Divine Favor, Dominate Animal, Dominate Monster, Dominate Person, Doom, Fear, Feeblemind, Hold Animal, Hold Monster, Hold Person, Mass Charm, Phantasmal Killer, Scare, Sleep, Undeath's Eternal Foe, War Cry, Weird
Spells that channel negative energy. Undead are powered by negative energy.
- Spells: Energy Drain, Enervation, Harm, Healing Sting, Inflict Critical Wounds, Inflict Light Wounds, Inflict Minor Wounds, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Inflict Serious Wounds, Slay Living, Vampiric Touch
Spells that simulate nature's power.
- Spells:: Vine Mine
Spells that paralyze their target.
- Spells: Stonehold
Spells with poisoning effects
- Spells: Cloudkill, Cloud of Bewilderment, Ghoul Touch, Ironguts, Quillfire
Spells that channel positive energy.
- Spells: Cure Critical Wounds, Cure Light Wounds, Cure Minor Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds, Cure Serious Wounds, Heal, Mass Heal, Neutralize Poison, Remove Disease
Spells dealing with tremors, resonances, and vibrations.
Spells that instantly transport objects.
Spells that alter or enhance weapons.
- Spells: Darkfire, Flame Arrow, Flame Weapon, Greater Magic Weapon, Keen Edge